Well I’ve been up here for about three weeks now and it has flown by but also feels like I’ve been here longer than I have. I just checked my calendar and realized it’s only been 23 days while all day I’ve told people I’ve been here for over a month!
I will say that I have absolutely loved it here and although it’s definitely an adjustment it’s been really fun. I try to enjoy all the moments and not take for granted the opportunity that I’ve been given. This whole experience so far, from looking for jobs to taking this offer and moving, has been a whirlwind of excitement and nerves mixed together. The decision was definitely quick but sometimes you just have to go with your gut and do what you think is best for you at that moment. Some days it gets to me and if I think about it for that extra minute then I get overwhelmed with everything but I’ve had an amazing support system (& a lot of desserts) that has been here for me every step of the way . Which I’m so thankful for – mostly my friends and family but also to the wonderful people of the Italian shop down the street that have the best desserts, they’ll count as family soon.
Here are some quick highlights of things I have done since moving to Manhattan:
- dinner with Chris’ sister, Sarah on my first night in town (which was so nice to see a familiar face when I arrived!), and homemade ravioli making night with Sarah and their sister-in-law Katie
- team dinner at The Smith (the place is amazing but especially the s’mores in a jar) – special shout-out to my new team that has made this transition a thousand times easier!
- a night out with some old friends – that led us to a rooftop in the Meatpacking district and an event at someone’s apartment that could have been an art studio in Chelsea –
- a day mostly dedicated to Ted’s Adventure In Central Park – which led to 11 miles of walking
- Sarah’s graduation from Columbia – congrats again you rock! & a celebratory dinner at The Place – which is also an amazing restaurant
- seeing Phil from college and one of my best friends from high school Julia – I love how I’ve been able to see friends that I haven’t seen in so long just by moving here!
- Bing Ads Customer Celebration Party at the Gramercy Terrace – which might be an area of consideration when picking out an apartment – and to top the night my boss’s boss wanted to go play ping-pong. Which led us to an underground ping-pong society. Apparently it was glow night tip: no one is good at playing ping-pong in the dark
- a Facebook training session – which was honestly so cool to me to have the opportunity to visit the Facebook office and they have a full cafeteria on their floor!
- NYY games with my friend Jeff from college – and our new Frenchman friend that we shared a bucket of chicken tenders and garlic fries with cheese – note: garlic fries with cheese = great idea.. bucket of garlic fries with cheese = not so great idea
- many office events with a variety of food and mingling
Some quick snapshots of my last three weeks:
I think that sums up all the exciting things – I’ll leave out the details of taking the wrong subways, strategizing grocery shopping to what you can carry home, not being ready for the rain .. twice, and every other crazy thing you wouldn’t think about if you didn’t live in NY.
All I have to say is I better have a solid booty after living in a 5th floor walk up!